If you could have a second home anywhere, where would you live? Paris
Tell us about your childhood bedroom? It included a sweet little dressing room, and French doors giving onto a narrow balcony. I painted the walls yellow.
What’s the first investment piece you ever bought for your house? An oak card table with four matching chairs from a dismantled cruise ship- encouraged by Angelo Donghia.
In the history of design, if you could hire any designer other than yourself, who would it be? Emilio Terry
No room is complete without good light, natural and otherwise
People think of me as theatrical, but I am really practical.
Things you omit from:
• A flower arrangement - complicated vase
• An hors d’oeuvre platter - raw carrots and celery
• A bar cabinet - diet sodas
A song for:
• Dinner at home - Gilberto Gil and almost all South American music.
• Working at your desk- French Baroque
Biggest Vice? smoking e-cigarettes
If you were on an Ambien high and internet shopping, what would you buy? gold rings
Do your clothes reflect your design sensibility, if so, how? Yes — highly contrasting color and patterns. No — wrinkles.
What is the thing you would never do on a project, but don’t detest when you see others do it? Huge floral arrangements
If there were a fire, and you could only keep one design book, what would it be? Christian Berard
For posterity, what would you like your work to be known for? A celebration of nature and frank color
A Few Favorites:
• Movie: Blow Up
• Book: Too many to list
• Scent: 1000 by Patou
• The fabric you always come back to: Off-white cotton muslin
• Dream project: My own rooms.
• Meal: Foie gras, Poilane bread, a green salad, St. Emilion, and a ripe Camembert and pear for dessert.
• Drink: Vodka gimlet with Rose’s lime juice and a dash of fresh lime
• Hotel: The old 11 Cadogen Gardens
• Travel Destination: France and Morocco
• Artist: Cezanne and Matisse
• Thing to collect obsessively: China and pottery, table linens.
• Era in the history of design: 18th century in general, also 1940’s French
• Museum: Victoria &Albert, DIA Beacon, the Prado
• Paint Color that always look great: Nile or parrot green
• Favorite person to follow on Instagram: @miguelfloresvianna, @taniacompton, and @papermaker
• Dogs, Cats, or No Pets? Dogs.
portrait by Brett Wood